Monday, February 27, 2012

Two Italin wheels baby


     Imagine, the world passing you buy at 60 miles an hour, pavement so close you could almost reach out and touch it, and the open air blowing at you shirt and jeans, attempting to rip you off the seat and handle bars you desperately cling to. This is something I've been aching to experience for the last 3 years. But, because of my loyalty to my parents, I wasn't able to buy a motorcycle while I lived under their roof. Well, their roof is no longer over my head, instead one I pay for hangs above me, and this spring, May 26th to be exact, is when I intend to bring this dream to life.

     I've had chances before, in fact, had I not made one phone call to my Uncle Kenny, the only person in my family that owns a bike, the day I was standing in Harley Davidson Central, I probably would have one right now. One bike I've had my eyes on since they debuted was the Harley Davidson Sportster Iron. It's the smallest in the company at 883cc's, and also the cheapest, but those two factors don't make it look less gorgeous, and it still sounds like a Harley to boot.
    However my want for an Iron 883 has been overshadowed by another bike, one that has been on my mind since day one of my two wheel fueled craze, it's the bike that started it all for me, the Ducati Monster. Where did my desire for a piece of Italian mechanical art come from? Well, it isn't a where, but a who. His story, it isn't mine to tell, but to me, he was the coolest person I have ever met on this planet. He had a Monster, the first real motorcycle I ever set eyes on. It wasn't just any Monster either, if my memory serves me right, it was an S4R, the fastest production model of the time, I remember him saying those words "It's the fastest one they make." It was beautiful, black with a white stripe. The trellis frame, the perfectly formed gas tank, artwork in modern, mechanized form.
     The only word that could come to my wee, highschool brain was "DAMN" That was a few years ago, but that bike has held a special place in the back of my mind since.
       It was a nice Spring day in Lincoln, riding season. Multiple motorcycles of all kinds were parked out front of Star City, their owners chatting up the salesmen inside. And there is sat, a white, 2009 Ducati Monster 696, my dream bike, leaning in the nude on it's steel kickstand. I looked around, grabbed the right grip, and took a seat. A salesman instantly approached and said "what do you think?" "It's so comfortable" I said. And man was it. The tank and the seat fit me perfectly, as if they were made just for me. "How much is it?" I asked. "Uh, let me check, we're selling it for some dude....it's $7,500." I could hear the bike whispering, "please, take me home with you, I'll be a good little bike, I promise" But I wasn't ready, not yet, it would have been a spur of the moment purchase, something I wouldn't have enough time to think about. "You know what?" I said "I really, really want one of these. But I need some time to think about it, but I tell you what, I'll come back when I'm ready, and hopefully you guys will have another Monster by then" 
         Almost a year has past since that day, and I've had plenty of time to think about it. It's no longer a dream, but a reality. I'm saving all the money I can for a down payment on one of two bikes, the 696, or its bigger twin brother the 796, all dependent on cost, as the 796 is about $1,000 more. May 26th is my brother-in-laws birthday, it's also my deadline, the Saturday before my 21st birthday. By then, I must have the money to place a down payment on either bike, it's not some silly little goal that will fade with time, it's a real opportunity to experience true moving freedom. I will have one of these two bikes the weekend before my birthday, a gift to me, the proud new owner of a Ducati Monster.

No comments:

Post a Comment